Thursday, April 20, 2006

More herbs

The season of danger has arrived; the potted herb plants have arrived at the supermarket. After agonizing over the candidates yesterday, I succumbed to temptation and brought two plants home. One is a Spicy Globe basil, with a nice lemon fragrance. The other is cilantro, which will require careful repotting. Of course, once I brought the cilantro home, I realized that its foliage resembled a tiny seedling that has mysteriously appeared in the big clay pot. I guess I planted some cilantro seeds in there on a whim and forgot all about it. Oops. Some gardener I am. Then again, given my total lack of success with cilantro last year, I'm not expecting much.

2 comments:

Crazy Gaijin said...

I love discovering things that mysteriously appear. One year I decided that I would cover my balcony with so many pots of vegetables that I would not be able to walk out there (which was OK - the balcony faced north which was super hot in summer). Later, just after summer, I discoverd that when the plants had gone to seed, some of the seeds had blown onto my CONCRETE driveway. Later, we had parsley growing in the cracks next to the fence, and even a carrot was grosing in the crack of the driveway!!

Winslow said...

I guess I'm a terrible gardener because not only do I plant things and forget about them, I let Mother Nature plant all kinds of irrelevant plants in my pots and then I can't bear to rip them out. But it's really interesting to see what a little seedling turns into!

I wonder if my downstairs neighbor is going to have mitsuba in his flowerpots this season...