Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Thanks, Marnie!

Tonight’s entrée was Indian Spice-Rubbed Pork Chops from Everyday Asian. The rub is a blend of paprika, turmeric, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Although this is intended to be a grill dish, I baked the pork chops and they turned out excellent. The rub, as advertised, kept the pork chops moist. It was spicy but not incendiary.

I’ll take this opportunity to praise Marnie Henricksson’s Everyday Asian, one of my favorite cookbooks. Since I bought it in September 2003, I’ve cooked 17 of the recipes in it (it’s a small book) and not one has been a dud. The recipes are very well written; you are never in doubt about what to do next or how to assemble a dish. The recipes cover Asia from Japan to southeast Asia; most are fairly authentic, but there are a few fusion-type dishes (such as tonight’s pork chops). Henricksson ran a noodle shop in the Village and I have to say I’m sorry I missed it when I was in New York more often. She does like her food a little hotter than I do, and the amounts are often more than one person needs, but apart from that, I love this cookbook. The consistent high quality of the results of these recipes earns high praise from me.

No comments: