Thursday, June 16, 2005

In the lockup

A few years ago, my parents retired to Cape Cod. Before long, they started discovering a host of terrific restaurants in their new stomping grounds. This always makes it a pleasure to go visit, since there is a great variety of good food and different ambiences from which to choose.

I took a long weekend on the Cape just before starting my new job. The night I arrived, we ate at the Old Jailhouse Tavern in Orleans. The Jailhouse is a perennial favorite of ours, since it carries a range of food from burgers and sandwiches on up to some truly gourmet creations. In summer, it's nice to sit out on the porch (as we did this time) and admire the gardens.

Tonight I splashed out and ordered a swordfish special. I love swordfish, but I don't eat it very often any more. I will never forget the best swordfish I've ever had, a melt-in-your-mouth swordfish steak at Menz Restaurant in Cape May; it must have been right off the boat. The Jailhouse swordfish didn't quite attain that level of nirvana, but it was an awfully good piece of fish; firm and with good flavor. It was adorned with a wonderful lemon and white wine sauce and capers. The sauce was rich and creamy and was good enough to have on its own, but the fish stood up to the flavorful sauce. There were a lot of intriguing specials on the menu this night, but once chosen, the swordfish proved to be the right choice. I'm going to have to see if I can recreate that sauce.

Unfortunately, I forget what my mother had, but my father had a big fruit salad. That may not sound like the most exciting thing in the world, but all of the fruit was beautifully ripe. There was melon, pineapple, blueberries and, most noteworthy of all, it was topped by a single slice of starfruit. That was a very nice touch.

No comments: