Thursday, June 09, 2005

Pan-fried chicken strips

It’s been a while since I cooked this dish, which is a shame because it’s so easy, fast and tasty. It comes from The Frugal Gourmet and is one of those dishes that quickly became a standby as soon as I tried it, back when I was a culinary neophyte.

You can find a slightly adapted version of the recipe here. This time around, I used fresh lemon juice from a couple of leftover lemon slices and a bit more marsala than what is recommended. The sauce was sweet and light, just terrific. I think this was my most successful attempt at this dish to date. Using real marsala (not the salted cooking variety) undoubtedly helped. The leftovers were equally excellent when poured over some leftover jasmine rice the next day.

Although this is not an Asian recipe (the Frug’s attribution for the recipe is “Italy-China-San Francisco”), it fits comfortably into the Chinese vein of seasoning some oil, stir-frying some meat, then creating a simple sauce and heating the ingredients through.

1 comment:

Winslow said...

One more thing - the recipe calls for "green onions"; i.e., scallions, but I was all out. I sliced up a couple of shallots instead and it made a very good substitution.