Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Lumpy panang potatoes

Salvage time. I heated a can of coconut milk in the big skillet and added the lumpy potatoes from the other night. I also added the old green beans, a heaping tablespoon of panang curry paste and a couple of tablespoons of slivered almonds. It didn't turn out too badly. It could've used some more curry paste; even I thought it was a little lukewarm, spicewise. When I talked to my mom on the phone tonight, she suggested potato pancakes or soup as alternate ways of using up lumpy potato disasters.

At times like this, I find myself thinking of the 18th century racehorse Potoooooooo. I guess that's just a warning about the accumulated detritus that winds up inside one's brain once one reaches a certain age. Beware free association, the enemy of logic.

1 comment:

Winslow said...

On reflection, I ought to add that this did leave the pan with a good crust of nearly-burnt coconut milk (this in a pan that usually doesn't have much of anything left in it after a typical stir-fry). Note to self: heat more gently next time.