Saturday, January 01, 2005

Garden report 01.01.05

It's a warm new year in central Jersey with bright sunshine and temperatures in the 60s. I took the opportunity for a little garden work. I cleaned out some pots from last year and will order some seeds soon. I added some potting soil to my indoor tomato plant, which is growing by leaps and bounds. I've seen websites that imply you can really get tomatoes indoors in winter, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last week, both my ginger plants up and died, so I cleaned out those pots too. I was happy to discover that the roots had substantially increased in size from the little sprouting nubs of gingerroot that I originally planted. I'll have to get a bigger pot the next time I plant some ginger sprouts, but in the meantime, I'll be able to enjoy some homegrown ginger. Now that is a happy outcome indeed for someone who doesn't live in a tropical climate.

No comments: