Friday, January 07, 2005

Garden report 01.07.05

Yes, Virginia, there will be a garden; I got some seeds in the mail today from Nichols Garden Nursery. I can look forward to Thai basil, cilantro, mitsuba, scallions and mixes of lettuce and Asian greens; the local butterflies can look forward to bergamot and butterfly weed. The spinach is back-ordered but should arrive in a few weeks. Add that to the amaranth and tropical sage seeds, and I need to get organized fast. When to start seeds? What air and soil temperatures to look for, and when do they occur in central Jersey? How much potting soil do I need, and how many more pots? Etcetera, etcetera. Luckily, there are plenty of county extension offices and gardening sites on the web.

I want to add a link to Kitazawa Seed Co., even though I probably won't be ordering from them this year. They're a little pricey for me right now, but they have a detailed catalog (complete with recipes) full of Japanese heirloom vegetables and various Asian herbs and vegetables. The catalog has been a great reference in my research.

In real plant gardening news, I repotted the spearmint not long ago and it looks like I gave it a shot of steroids or something. Since it's been in the new bigger pot, the stems have bulked up and the new leaves are much bigger than the old ones. I guess it was feeling cramped, but no more. Its vitality is encouraging.

No comments: