Thursday, March 31, 2005


One of the distinctive things about mitsuba is its trefoil shape. This gives a decorative touch to dishes where mitsuba is used as a garnish.

As my mitsuba sprouted, I was pleased yet a little puzzled. The tiny leaves on the sprouts were rounded, not three-lobed, and certainly not serrated. I didn't think the seed company had made a mistake, but it seemed odd. Today, however, the mystery was solved.

When I got home from work, I checked the garden (or "the farm," as my mother called it the last time I talked to her). One of the mitsuba sprouts was showing two new leaves, and these had the expected serrated trefoil shape, in miniature. I heaved a sigh of relief. All was well with the world again (or, at least, the world in that mitsuba pot).


Sue said...

Yeah, the first two leaves of plants often look significantly different than the rest of them - more plain and solid green. I think the plants do it to just get a jump-start on photosynthesis and not do all the fancy stuff with serration, coloration, etc.

Winslow said...

Hi Suebob,

I think you're right, because my mother said something similar. The spinach was just like the mitsuba; the first leaves were very long and thin, not at all what I expected. Then the stems grew a little longer and the next set of leaves on the plant was a pair of typical spinach leaves. It makes sense that they get themselves "up and running" as quickly as possible.