Sunday, May 29, 2005

Messy frittata

Given my chronic difficulties with presentation, a frittata is something I've put off trying to cook. The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home has several interesting recipes for frittatas, but so far I've always had an excuse not to try them. Tonight, the excuses ran out and I tried the "Simple Frittata." This involves sauteeing potatoes and onions, adding garlic and an herb (rosemary was the one I chose), then adding the beaten eggs and letting them set.

It didn't come out too badly, though by the time it left the skillet, it was in pieces. I doubt it was sufficiently browned, either. It tasted fine, however, and now I'm ready to try the "Asian-Style Frittata" at some point.

4 comments:

Michèle said...

Hi Winslow,
Its funny I should stumble upon your blog, as I recently posted about one of my first "good" frittata experiences. I always avoided making them as mine would always end up in pieces too and i hated cleaning the pan afterward. But recently I bought a good non-stick pan (i have no idea why I didnt have one before!) and was shocked to see how easy the frittata slipped perfectly out of the pan. It was a complete revelation!

Winslow said...

Hi Michele,

Thanks for commenting. I don't have a non-stick pan, so I'll keep that in mind for the future. I usually don't have problems with food sticking to this pan because I'm either stir-frying with cool oil added to a hot pan or braising with enough liquid to clean out the pan's contents. A frittata is another matter, however!

Anonymous said...

http://www.indian-recipe.net

try that too...

Winslow said...

Thanks, Anonymous, I'll try that Indian site. It looks like a good recipe source.